Wiki Link: [discussion:1309]
Completely unacceptable 

Feb 11 2009 at 10:17 AM
This is completely useless, I cannot debug my code and step through randomly just continues execution as if I had pressed F5. What a nightmare, I cannot even run my solution without SP1 installed now because of an issue with some design package not being loaded.

The fix DOES NOT WORK, and nothing has been done about this?

This needs to get sorted ASAP, I am trying to develop an enterprise application and not being able to debug my code is not an option.

Mar 25 2009 at 11:05 PM
Hi Adam,

We would like some additional details so that we can start helping you with this problem.
1) Which version of Visual Studio are you using?
2) What kind of code are you debugging (native C++, C#) when you are hitting this issue?
3) Is this 32 or 64 bit code?
4) Do you have a set of steps you can follow to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
Brad

Apr 15 2009 at 8:20 AM
Hi Adam,

I have experienced exactly the same problem of you; when I debug my applications and use step through or step into specific, suddently Visual Studio just continues execute as if I had pressed F5.

I have talked with other persons but none of them have experienced this problem BUT these persons use C# and I use Visual Basic. This is the only thing that I think can be the problem.

Apr 24 2009 at 7:08 AM
Edited Apr 26 2009 at 9:19 AM

Hi All,

I have similar problem which is consistent. My code is in C#.

Environment:
Dell D830 Centrino Duo; Vista Business 32bit x86; VS 2008 Professional Sp1, .NET Framework 3.5 Sp1; and applied the hotfixes KB957912 and KB967631. SilverLight NOT installed.
My application is in ASP .NET and C#.

The breakpoint is set in the PageLoad, which should hit every time, ideally.

Problem:
The Breakpoint which is set in the detailed page hits for the first time opening of the detailed page from a GridView row, but does NOT hit upon immediate reopening the same record after closing (whether paged data updated last time or not). Also, if the record was last updated, the values are not bound for the updated elements (only), but they are really updated in the database. Upon hit of a Reset button (which calls a function to discard any changed values on the page and re-bind the original page field data from database), only then the breakpoint hits, also the last updated fields' data is bound then. I tried to debug to see why the data is not bound to the page elements, but the breakpoint does not hit!

I tried setting the Processor Affinity to one of the CPUs, namely CPU1, but in vain.

This problem is consistent, and I can reproduce all times. Also, can provide any further details.

Can anyone help me, please!

Apr 30 2009 at 11:53 AM

Finally!!!, I identified the problem for my above mentioned breakpoint issue - not stopping at times at the set breakpoint.

It is the IE8 that is the culprit here, as I found. When my default browser is set to IE8, THE BREAKPOINT DOES NOT HIT and also does not bind updated data on the page!. IE7 works well, as well Firefox breaks at the set breakpoint and binds the data correctly.

I am not an expert on the subject, but this what I noticed. Hope this helps few others.

May 5 2009 at 6:13 PM
MystCreater and Phalguna, are you saying that installing the hotfix did not address your breakpoint issues like Adam O.? I ran the install and everything worked fine afterwards. I was only having the issue with Windows Forms projects in C#. My ASP.Net projects in VB.Net worked fined. Phalguna are you saying the problem re-appeared after installing IE 8? I haven't installed it yet now I wonder if I want to.

May 5 2009 at 6:13 PM
MystCreater and Phalguna, are you saying that installing the hotfix did not address your breakpoint issues like Adam O.? I ran the install and everything worked fine afterwards. I was only having the issue with Windows Forms projects in C#. My ASP.Net projects in VB.Net worked fined. Phalguna are you saying the problem re-appeared after installing IE 8? I haven't installed it yet now I wonder if I want to.

May 6 2009 at 5:45 AM
Edited May 6 2009 at 10:45 AM
Yes, the breakpoint issue and the data-re-binding issue are exclusively noticed by me in Vista Business Sp1, Dual Core system, IE 8 with hotfixes KB957912 and KB967631, ASP .NET/C# Web application. Same when accessed from XP/SP3 with IE8, Single Core processor, worked correctly as I saw. Also, FireFox worked well.

Jun 11 2009 at 9:38 AM
Guys,

I put the following statement which turns off caching, at the beginning of Page_Load() in my code behind, then the breakpoint problem is resolved for me. VS 2008 breaks at the set breakpoint now. Everything worked fine for me including the data-rebinding for the just-updated-and-reopened-for-edit record.

Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache);

Hope this works for some of you too.


Updating...
Page view tracker