MSDN Archive Home
Help and FAQs
Microsoft Line of Code (LOC) Counter
All Resource Updates
Change History (all pages)
Resource Page Description
Microsoft Line of Code Counter connects to VSTF, VSS, or file system, counts LOC as per a counting standard defined by the user.
* Get Latest LOC Count and Code Churn by connecting to source repository such as VSTF, VSS , and File System
* 16 types of count (latest, Code churn with dates, labels, changesets, etc.,)
* Customize counting standard to suit your own environment - Add, remove programming languages, set inclusion/exclusion rules
* Report results by File, Folder, Language, Excluded LOC, and more
* Predict System Defect Density by applying Microsoft Research on the Code churn data
* Support for Personal Software Process(SM) / Team Software Process(SM) object level code churn
* Install either as Windows (XP/Vista, 32bit/64bit) Application or as an add-in to Visual Studio 2005 IDE
* Save source code selections of a task and run them repeatedly
* Export results to Excel or PDF
Technet White Paper: Check Downloads page.
Microsoft IT Showcase Webcast (60 min):
Live Meeting Replay
Microsoft IT Radio Podcast: (26 min.)
Dec 11 2009 at 1:10 AM
, version 10
Sep 9 2010 at 3:51 PM
This tool is awesome! We have recently been looking for a SLOC counter that includes C#, SQL, ASP.NET, HTML, JS, etc. and this one does it all. The fact that it connects to TFS is also a HUGE benefit for us. I see that the last release for this was in 2008 and the add-in for VS2005. What is the future for this tool? Will it support VS2010 & TFS2010? Will there be any features added to integrate with Team Builds in TFS? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 1 2011 at 3:28 PM
I contacted one of the contributors for this project, AnantharamC, and the response was that the team that built this tool have moved on and that he was not aware of any plans to keep this tool updated. I posted in the discussions some very high leve guidance on what I have done to get it to work with TFS2010.
Feb 23 2011 at 2:26 PM
Does this work on Windows 7?
Mar 24 2011 at 5:52 PM
Great tool. Thanks! Is it possible to count ALL files in TFS without specifying a filter? Plain count all files even with comments and auto generated code. How can I specify in xml?
Does this tool count accurate for TFS 2008/2010? If there is no further development by creators, can you share source code on codeplex?
Apr 5 2011 at 2:26 PM
I also find this tool useful, flexible enough for many environments, and generally good performance. Lack of support for TFS 2010 is unfortunately preventing the use of it. If it were open source, I could contribute efforts toward integration with the later releases.
Aug 8 2012 at 2:42 PM
Has anyone ever heard back from Anatharam ??
I second WillS's suggestion to place this on CodePlex. Speaking as someone who's already modified it to work under TFS 2010 ( and added a couple of nifty features ), it would be nice to have the full project, because right now, a new package couldn't be created unless we recreated the installation package as well.
Aug 13 2012 at 5:56 PM
He responded to me in October of 2010 when I used the Contact User form here. As I indicated in April 2011, his response was that the team that built the tool has moved on adn he was not aware of any further plans to keep the tool updated. I followed up asking about access to the source but didn't get a response.
Sign in to add a comment
LOC Counter V2.3
Thu Jan 31 2008 at 8:00 AM
More Tags ...
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2010
Manage Your Profile
MSDN Flash Newsletter
© 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.